What you’ll gain
In this 4 to 5 hour course, our in-depth discussions, lessons, and scenario-based activities will give you:
- the skills to recognise mental distress
- the confidence to provide initial help and guide a person towards professional help
- an Online Mental Health First Aid certificate
What this course covers
Our interactive online learning environments will teach you how to:
- Identify the early signs of a mental health problem
- Get a basic understanding of the relationship between mental health and mental disorders
- Identify mental health crises
- Identify strategies for managing a mental health crisis safely
- Follow our ‘Listen to your HEAD’ action plan
- Identify help agencies and where to get immediate assistance
- Understand debriefing strategies for self-care
- Covers the same content as the in-class Mental Health First Aid course
Prerequisites and restrictions
We invite everyone to take part in our Online Mental Health First Aid course. Attendees do not need any prior training or experience.
Please note, courses are non-refundable. Click here for the full training terms & conditions.
Minimum system requirements:
- Microsoft Edge (latest version)
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Firefox (latest version)
- Safari (latest version)
- Safari in Apple iOS 10 or later
- Chrome in Apple iOS 10 or later
- Chrome in Android OS 4.4 or later
Required browser settings:
- Turn off compatibility view in Internet Explorer
- Font downloads must be enabled (HTML5 only)
Mental disorders as a group are the third-leading cause of health loss for New Zealanders.
Ideal training for managers responsible for their staff, those interacting with the public, or simply anyone who wants to improve their knowledge around mental health.
Everyone can benefit from Mental Health First Aid training.
This course is not a therapy or support group, nor does it teach people how to be therapists.